Logo

West Hartford

In 1672-1677, Hartford created the West Division by sub-dividing a tract bounded by Quaker Lane, Mountain Road, and the towns of Bloomfield and Newington. Later this was enlarged by lands from Hartford and Farmington. The first settler, Stephen Hosmer, built a mill on Trout Brook in 1679. The West Division became a parish in 1711. The State Legislature named it West Hartford in 1806 and in 1854 made it a town. In 1919 West Hartford became the first place in Connecticut to adopt council-manager government that is still used today. 

Places to Visit:

  • Elizabeth Park Rose Garden
  • West Hartford Center & Blue Back Square
  • Noah Webster House & West Hartford Historical Society
  • Playhouse on Park