The part of the land Known as East Hartford was once inhabited by the Podunk Indians, in 1635 the town saw its first permanent colonists when Thomas Hooker and his followers came from Cambridge, Massachusetts to found Hartford. The east side of the Connecticut River was at that time part of Hartford. Initially settled about 1640, early settlers included William Goodwin, Thomas Burnham and William Pitkin.
The first petition by residents to establish a separate Town apart from Hartford was rejected by the General Assembly in 1726. Several more petitions were submitted between that year and 1783, when the Assembly at last gave its approval to the incorporation of East Hartford. The Town then received its Charter from the State of Connecticut on the land area taken from the City of Hartford.
Attractions to Visit: