Logo

Avon, CT

Founded in 1645 and incorporated in 1830, Avon is a special town located in Hartford County. Avon was named from the Avon River located in England. “Avon” had been in use as early as 1753, when church marriage records began to record the bride or groom’s residence as “Avon” or “Northington.”

Avon is a historic town which fosters a small town community feel. Some of the top attractions in this town include:

  • Pine Grove School House (a one room school house)
  • Derrin House, farmhouse built in 1810
  • First Company Governor’s horse Guard, oldest continuously operating cavalry unit in the country
  • First Avon Library
  • Farmington Valley Rails-to-Trail recreation path